4 Year MRC WIMM Prize PhD Studentships
The MRC Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine has fully funded 4-year Prize PhD (DPhil) studentships, to start in October 2020. These are open to outstanding students of any nationality who wish to pursue a career in experimental and/or computational biology.
The deadline for applications for any Oxford-administered scholarships, including the WIMM Prize Studentship, has now passed.
Prospective applicants are strongly advised to contact their prospective supervisor in advance of making an application to ensure the availability of research opportunities.
We advise you to submit your application as soon as possible. This allows more time to complete all admissions processes and makes it easier to find a college place.
Late applications are welcome for a project with Professor KJ Patel deadline 28 July 2020. Applications are considered on a competitive basis for a start date of Oct 20 - Jan 21.
You can find full details on the application process in the University’s application guide.
How to Apply
All applications must be made using the University's online application form.
Before starting your application, please read the University of Oxford Graduate application guide
Deadline for applications is 12 Noon (UK time) on Tuesday, 28 July 2020.
Specific details required in the application form:
- Programme - “DPhil in Medical Sciences”
- Proposed Field and Title of Research: Insert "Not applicable"
- Supervisor: List up to 3 potential supervisors.
- Statement of Purpose: All applicants are to submit a personal statement with their application (500 words max; any statements exceeding this limit will not be considered). You should head the personal statement with the names of the supervisors to whom you are applying. The statement of purpose should cover your previous research experience, the personal qualities that you will bring to the research project and your motivation for pursuing research in the field(s) that you have selected. Please note that we are interested in your scientific background and motivation rather than personal experiences.
- Research Proposal: A research proposal is not required.
- If you are applying for both the RDM Scholars Programme and the WIMM Prize Studentship you can submit one statement of purpose to cover both or two separate statements. (Please note that the online application form will only permit one upload, so please combine them into a single PDF file before upload.) If you choose to submit two separate statements you should note that both statements will be included when the application is sent for assessment.
- Applying for a Departmental Scholarship: Please add here “WIMM H819039”
RDM Scholars Programme - if also applying for the RDM Scholars Programme please also put “RDM SCHOLARS 20”. Do not make a separate application for each scholarship /studentship.
- Studentships are fully funded for 4 years and include a stipend of £18,000pa, University and College fees.
- There is no rotation.
- A CV should be uploaded which includes your final year school results and full details of your research experience.
- You will need to ensure that your referees are willing and able to write a reference for you. We must receive your references no later than the application deadline. It is your responsibility to ensure that your references are submitted on time.
- You will need to pay the application fee for each programme to which you make an application unless you are eligible for a fee waiver. The fee is currently £75 and can be paid by credit/debit card through the University's online shop. If you do not have access to a bank account and are unable to pay by card, you should contact Graduate Admissions and Funding for guidance as soon as you have decided to apply.
Information on eligibility can be found at the DPhil in Medical Science information page.
Please contact Mrs Liz Cloke, MRC WIMM Student Co-ordinator:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: +44 (0) 1865 222336