Genetics of type 2 diabetes & related traits Group – Anna Gloyn & Mark McCarthy
Active team members in the single cell space:- Soren Thomsen, Natasha Ng, Martijn van de Bunt, Nicola Beer, Matthias Thurner
Work is in collaboration with: Chris Yau & Quin Wills and members of the WTCHG core SCtx team headed by Rory Bowden.
Overview of Current Projects & Research Interests
1) Single cell transcriptomics (SCtx) in human pancreatic islet cells to understand cell identify & heterogeneity in this multicellular endocrine tissue. We are also developing protocols to link transcript profiles to functional characteristics of the cells (e.g. calcium levels in response to glucose stimulation).
2) Single cell transcriptomics in EndoCBh1 cells to quantify inherent heterogeneity in this recently established human beta-cell line with a view to using SCtx as a phenotypic readout following genome editing using CRISPR-cas 9.
3) Single cell transcriptomics in IPS cell derived hormone producing cells to characterise cellular identify at different stages of beta-cell maturation.
Potential areas of collaboration with Commercial partners
1. We would be interested in developing an integrated ATAC- and RNA-sequencing pipeline using the C1-Autoprep system with human islet cells and IPS cell derived hormone producing cells
2. We would be interested in developing an integrated DNA methylation and RNA-sequencing pipeline for human islet cells and IPS cell derived hormone producing cells
3. We are interested in efforts to combine functional imaging of cells on the Polaris system with transcriptomic data.
4. Opportunities to collaborate on platforms for single cell protein quantification in human islet cells and IPS cell derived hormone producing cells would also be of interest.